The Government of Nova Scotia and Service Nova Scotia are committed to providing websites and services that respect the privacy of visitors.
This Privacy Notice summarizes the information practices for the Online Dealer Services It describes the privacy standards, provisions, and information practices we have designed into Online Dealer Services to protect your personal information. It also describes how Cookies, analytics and other technologies are used in the provision of this service.
2. Collection and Use of Personal Information
Personal information you provide online in the Online Dealer Services is collected under the authority of the Nova Scotia Motor Vehicle Act and Nova Scotia Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
b. Purpose for Collection
We collect your personal information to
- To contact you to process your application;
- to complete transactions, such as titling, and plating and permitting a vehicle;
- To evaluate, improve and administer the Online Dealer Service.
c. Purpose for Use
We use your personal information for the purposes described above or for other compatible purposes. We may only use your information for another purpose if we are authorized by law to do so, or if we obtain your express consent.
Personal information collected and used by Online Dealer Services includes but is not limited to: information used to identify you such as your master number, name, date of birth, and information used to send your documents such as your civic and mailing address.
3. Disclosure of Personal Information
In accordance with the FOIPOP Act, your personal information may be disclosed as follows:
- Certificates of registration, plates and vehicle permits may be mailed to dealerships when requested by the customer
- To external service providers and support team(s) to provide technical support
- For another purpose specifically authorized by the FOIPOP Act or another law; and/or
- For another purpose if we obtain your consent prior to disclosing the information
4. Questions About Your Privacy
For questions about how your personal information is handled by Service Nova Scotia, you may contact:
Mail: Service Nova Scotia
P.O. Box 2734
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3K5
For more information regarding this Privacy Statement or to comment on its content, please contact:
Mail: Web Administrator
Service Nova Scotia
PO Box 2734
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3P7
Mail: Information Access and Privacy Services
P.O. Box 72
5. Google Analytics
- the originating IP address (in anonymized form)
- the date and time of the request
- the type of browser and device used
- the page(s) visited
- websites that referred you to our service
The use of these tools does not allow us or our analytics service providers to identify individuals. None of your personal, account, or form(s) information is sent to, or stored by Google. We do not use Google Analytics on the payment portion of these Services.
You can opt-out of analytics activity by setting your browser to notify you when a Cookie is sent and block analytics Cookies if desired. Please consult your browser’s Help Menu for instructions. Visiting our website with Google Analytics Cookies disabled will have no significant impact on your browsing experience.
Google currently offers a free Google Analytics opt-out tool for Chrome, Internet Explorer 8-11, Safari, Firefox and Opera.
6. Retention of Personal Information
Saved applications are stored in Online Dealer Services for 30 days and then deleted. Submitted applications are not stored in ODS.